Gothenburg is the largest non-capital in the Nordics and located on the beautiful west coast of Sweden. The city is easily accessible by air, road, rail and sea thanks to its location in the heart of Scandinavia. There are around 85 direct routes from around 70 destinations. Only 20 minutes transport to the city center.
Visit Gothenburg's official visitor guide for more information on how to get to Gothenburg.
As a visitor in Gothenburg you are greeted with a relaxed attitude, warmth and friendliness. People here are open and interested - for real. Also, many Swedes are fluent in English. In fact Swedes are the top English non-native speakers of the world.
If you are planning in combining the summer school with the ACM RecSys conference in Copenhagen, there are many alternatives to get there.
By train: trains for Copenhagen leave Gothenburg Central Station every 30-60 minutes. Travel time is 3-4 hours, tickets are 30-50€. See SJ for information about trains.
By bus: busses bound for Copenhagen leave frequently. Travel time is 4h30m, tickets start at 15€. Operators include Flixbus and Nettbus.
By air: SAS flies from Gothenburg to Copenhagen multiple times per day. Travel time is 45 minutes, tickets start at 65€.
By car: A motorway connects Gothenburg to Copenhagen. The distance is 320km (200 miles).
Where to go and what to do in GothenburgThe map below lists a few cafés, bars, restaurants and sights around Gothenburg. A description follows below. Blue points of interest correspond to cafés, bars and restaurants (most of them with moderately priced menus). Red to sights and museums. Green to the venue. Gothenburg is a city with many micro and craft breweries, this is reflected in the list below.
Blue - Cafés, pubs, restaurants
- Ölstugan Tullen Johanneberg - relaxed atmospheare, craft beer pub specializing in Swedish craft beers. Very close to Panorama Hotel
- Ölstugan Tullen Wärdshuset - similar to above, very close to Scandic Rubinen
- Ölstugan Tullen - similar to above. In the centre of Gothenburg's busiest street with restaurants, pubs, and cafés
- Gyllene Prag - relaxed atmospheare pub. Within walking distance from the venue
- Burgersson - Gourmet burgers. Walking distance from the venue.
- The Rover - craft beer pub, many taps.
- Brewers Beer Bar - craft beer pub, many taps.
- Omnipollos - craft beer tap room
- 3 små rum - craft beer pub
- The Bishops Arms - pub. Close to Scandic Rubinen
- Stockyard - Gourmet burgers
- Butcher's Market - Gourmet burgers
- Kungstorgets Brygghus - pub/restaurant
- The Bishops Arms - pub.
- Guldhedstornets Cafe - Café at the top of a water tower.
- Eva's Paley - café. Close to Scandic Rubinen
- Café Husaren - popular café. Try the cinnamon buns (kanelbulle)
- Heaven 23 - restaurant on the 23rd floor of the first tower in Gothia Towers. Try the shrimp sandwhich.
Red - Sights and museums
- Liseberg - amusement park
- Universeum - public science center contains aquariums, an in-house rain forest, reptiles, etc.
- Götaplatsen - Gothenburg's main square
- Gothenburg Opera House
- Trädgårdsföreningen - Park and horticular garden.
- Gothenburg Botanical Garden
- Slottsskogen - a large central park. Contains a zoo with Swedish animals.
- Feskekörka - indoor fish market built in the style of church
- Skansen Kronan - 17th century fort
- Museum of world culture (free admission for all)
- Gothenburg art museum
- Röhsska museum - design, fashion, and applied art museum
- Göthenburg Maritime museum - a floating maritime museum with a collection of 19 vessels
- Gothenburg museum of natural history
- Gothenburg city museum